Toddlerhood is a time of challenges, but it's also a time of great curiosity—and the perfect time to spark a lifelong love of reading in your little one.
Reading with your toddler not only boosts brain power, but creates a special bond between you and your child that you'll always treasure. Toddlers want nothing more than to learn about the world around them, and books are a great way to introduce them to everything from basic concepts to big emotions.
Here are our picks for the 22 must-haves for every toddler library!
These classic stories will forever hold a special place in your heart—and your children's.
2. The Snowy Day
The magic of a snowy day experienced through a child's eyes is forever captured in this beautiful, timeless masterpiece.
Little toddlers have BIG feelings. These books perfectly capture toddler emotions, while also teaching little ones how to cope with them.
6. The Feelings Book
Todd Parr's signature vibrant illustrations help toddlers easily identify—and work through—the many big emotions they feel.
Numbers, letters, colors, and more—the toddler years are filled with watching in awe as your little ones learn about the world around them. Here are our favorite books to help them along the way!
12. First 100 Board Box Set
These chunky board books are perfect for little learners. The clear, bright photo illustrations and basic concepts (word, animals, + numbers) are a great way to build early skills.
Ways to say I love you
There's nothing sweeter than watching your toddler learn all the ways to say I love you. These books perfectly capture that sweet sentiment!
16. Guess How Much I Love You?
Your little one will love to hear how much she's loved while reading this sweet, quiet classic.
You'll love to laugh along with your little one through all of these silly stories!
19. The Pout-Pout Fish
The playful rhymes and silly adventures of the pout-pout fish will make your little one—and you!—laugh out loud.
You might also like:
- These are the best picture books of 2017
- 12 stylish storage solutions for all your kids' toys + books
- Best books for baby's first year: The only 20 books you need
- 34 Montessori-inspired books for newborns to 6-year-olds - Motherly ›
- Well-read baby: The 5 books you need for baby's first year - Motherly ›
- 10 girl-power books we love for toddlers + preschoolers - Motherly ›
- The best books to help your small toddler deal with their big emotions ›
- Best baby books for the first year: The only 25 board books you need ... ›