These Easy Baked Carrot Fries are my favorite type of vegetable side: They are easy to prepare—you basically just need to slice them—they cook in just about 20 minutes, and there's no stirring or tending required. Oh, and they are totally delicious.
Older babies and toddlers tend to love roasted veggies since their natural sugars caramelize in the oven, giving them a slightly sweet flavor.
Plus, they are easy for small hands to hold and have a soft texture that newer eaters will enjoy. We like them dipped into ketchup of course, but they are also pretty yummy on their own.
They don't always get crispy like real fries, but that has never seemed to matter with my little one.
Easy Baked Carrot Fries
- 6-8 medium carrots, sliced into matchstick-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
1. Place the sliced carrots onto a large rimmed baking sheet and toss with the olive oil and salt. Spread out as evenly as possible (this will help them to get a little crisp in spots, which makes them really yummy).
3. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until just starting to brown and are soft in texture.
4. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Add a sprinkle of cinnamon or cumin to add extra flavor.
Drizzle with 1 teaspoon honey (if your child is older than 1-year-old) before roasting to add extra sweetness.
Use rainbow carrots for extra color.
The cooking time will depend on the thickness of your slices, so try to make sure that they are cut as uniformly as possible to avoid some becoming too dark before others are done. Serves 3-4