Whenever I go to a play date and I’m unsure about whether the kids might have allergies, I like to bring these Allergy-Friendly Banana Muffins.
They are made without most of the top food allergies, which means that they can be enjoyed by most little ones.
These muffins are moist and easy to eat, and they happen to be free from nuts, dairy, eggs, and gluten.
Each bite is filled with banana flavor and they taste just how you’d expect a banana muffin to taste, with an undertone of nuttiness from the buckwheat flour.You can add a little extra sweetener if you prefer, though if you use super ripe bananas with brown spots, you really don’t have to.
The batter simply stirs together and bakes up in less than 20 minutes. They are delicious warm out of the oven, at room temperature, or even chilled.
Allergy-Free Banana Buckwheat Muffins
Makes about 24 mini muffins
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla coconut milk plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 cup mashed very-ripe-with-black-spots banana (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon melted coconut (or canola) oil
- 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Stir the chia seeds into the milk and set aside.
2. Place the banana into a large bowl. Add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, oil, and maple syrup, if using, and stir to combine. Stir in the chia-milk mixture. Let the batter sit while you preheat oven to 400 degrees F and grease a mini muffin tin.
3. Fill the prepared mini muffin tin to just under the edge of each cup. Bake for 14-16 minutes.
4. Let cool for 2 minutes, then remove from the pan, running a small paring knife around the edges to loosen if needed.
5. Serve warm or at room temperature, or let cool on a wire rack and store. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the fridge.
These taste best with a very ripe banana. If your banana does not have brown spots (which indicates both ripeness and sweetness) and you prefer sweeter muffins, do make sure you include the optional sweetener.
You can use whichever type of milk that your little one likes most.
Warm slightly before serving. Or, store in a zip top freezer bag with as much air removed as possible for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge or for 15-30 seconds in the microwave.