Here are 7 brands that will add a fiery tint to baby’s F/W17 universe.
1. Donsje Amsterdam. If you want the perfect first shoe for your baby, look no further. Amsterdam-based brand Donsje’s booties have your little one’s tiny toes covered — from infancy to toddlerhood — and would make a show-stopping shower gift or a practical, yet beautiful first shoe for your toddler. They offer soft sole options for newborns and rubber soles for new walkers. Our favorite? The animal booties are fun but sophisticated, “nostalgic with a twist.” The fur-lined Mary Jane, which comes in the softest nubuck, is a close second. They’re classic but not ordinary and come in rich shades of caramel, berry, navy, walnut and truffle. Check out the current collection here. See them in person this fall, at Geometry Kids in our very own Brooklyn.
2. Rylee and Cru. Rylee and Cru is a favorite of ours. Created by mother and illustrator, Kelli Murray, Rylee and Cru merges art and imagination to offer quality basics with whimsical prints and, thanks to the hand-garment dye, a vintage touch.. The brand offer sizes that range from 3 months to 8-9 years. We love the sweatsuit combos, which come back each season in new prints and colors. The FW17 print will feature the cutest foxes in frost! Other items will showcase a palette of both soft and vibrant colors — from vanilla and blush, to frost, sage and ginger.
3. Goose Grease. Goose Grease is a Brooklyn-based fair trade company from husband and wife team, Juan Carlos and Anna Leigh Donado. Their wooden peg doll collections offer the perfect nursery decor item. Both Carlos and Leigh Donado are artist, and the peg doll sets are hand-painted. These dolls will add the perfect pop of color and detail to any nursery. Our favorite is the “Children of the World” set of four. Also available are DIY peg doll sets for kids. This makes a perfect gift to keep big brother or sister occupied while the new baby naps. For next fall, Goose Greece will add crocheted knits for the dolls to stay warm!
4. Gray Label. Gray Label has the softest essentials for children size 0 to 8. The Amsterdam-based designer and mom of three, Emily Gray, says “we use only the softest 100% organic fabrics available, to ensure everyday comfort and practicality.” Every season, Gray Label carries a few classic styles and colors but also releases a few new colors and styles every season. They have two set options for a baby’s going-home outfit. But Gray Label pants, tees and hoodies are the true wardrobe staples that you will want for babies, toddlers and bigger kids alike. The colors for FW ’17 are so good! A bright cheery mustard, rich navy and a fun but not too bright burgundy are the best!
5. Lucas du Tertre. Every nursery needs a statement baby blanket to hang on the crib or rocker (but remember — only for decor. Baby should not have loose bedding around when he’s sleeping). Lucas du Tertre has plenty to choose from. Designed in France and ethically made in India, the colorful cotton prints are whimsical, modern and classic all at the same time. The baby quilts are thick enough to lay on the ground for baby to kick and play on comfortably, whereas the cotton sheets add an element of sophistication to any room. We fell in love with the multicolor owl and denim colored star prints. For FW ’17, look out for the black baby quilt with florals in bright coral, red, okra and blue. Also, keep your eyes peeled for the chicest scarfs and hats for boys this fall.
6. Baby Bites. Baby bites creates sleeping bag for babies and kids that are fun and functional. They’re available in both a summer weight and a winter weight, and they come in two sizes: bebes 1-12 months and ninos 2-6 year-olds. Baby Bites is a Barcelona-based brand with the goal to “make people smile wherever they go!” The sleeping bags, which are shaped like fish, make a great play surface for baby, stroller bunting, or the perfect choice for your child’s first sleepover. We also love the idea of using them as photo ops for baby’s “first months” photo shoots – showing how big he gets next to his fish. The sleeping bags are available in a rainbow assortment of colors — mustard, emerald, mint green, and stone pink.
7. Tia Cibani Kids. Tia Cibani Kids won the “Pirouette One to Watch” award at Playtime NY. This line is eclectic and fashion forward. The children line initially focused on kids ages 2-14 but now has items available for baby too. Look out for the knit romper for your littlest fashionista, this fall. The skirt/blouse color black combos as well as the ribbon tiered dresses are perfect to make a dramatic entrance during a special occasion. We love the down parkas in bright colors like maca (in the yellow family), jalapeno (a citrus green), pampas (soft pink), toucan (bright pink). They can cheer up any cold, grey winter day. And to spice up your little ones’ looks, get him a felt fedora, and her a tulle or pom pom headband.
Sarah Bean is a Brooklyn mom of two energetic boys. She’s called the Williamsburg-Greenpoint neighborhood home for more than decade. Sarah has a design degree from Parsons and worked in fashion as well as early childhood education before becoming a mom. Her focus is on all things baby, kids and mama – especially spaces, events, and clothing. When Sarah isn’t working on a project, you can find her trying to keep up with her two boys on scooters or bikes!