As a new mama, you probably spent a lot of your time worrying about whether you should eat this or that. But now that baby's here, guess what? It's time to indulge a little. If bacon was at the top of your pregnancy cravings, here's a crunchy BLT chopped salad recipe that will bring you joy. And all in under 30 minutes.
Crunchy BLT Chopped Salad Recipe
- 5.5 ounces bacon thinly sliced
- ½ head of iceberg lettuce – cut in small chunks or thick strips
- 20 large (or 40 medium) basil leaves (10 for dressing, 10 for salad)
- 3 T Mayonnaise
- 3 T Creme fraiche
- 3 T Red wine vinegar
- 1/8 - 1/4 t Sea salt - depending on saltiness of your bacon
- 1/2 t Fresh ground black pepper
- 2 Medium-large tomatoes – cut in strips
- 1 Avocado – thinly sliced (if you're an avocado lover, you can add more)
*be careful with salt as the bacon is already salty
-Cook your bacon until nice and golden brown and set aside on a paper towel, 2-4 minutes per side depending on thickness. The thin cut bacon works well here for timing as well as crunchiness.
-While the bacon is cooking, roll together 10 of the basil leaves and roughly chop. Place in a small handheld Cuisinart mixer or small mixing bowl. Add creme fraiche, mayonnaise, vinegar, salt & pepper and mix well. If using a bowl mix with a whisk try to break up or bruise the basil so it incorporates well into the dressing. Set aside.
-Slice your lettuce and place in the serving bowl. You want smaller strips or bite size chunks, not bigger leaves.
-Roughly chiffonade or chop the other 10 basil leaves and mix in with the lettuce in the serving bowl.
-Seed and slice the tomato and place on top of lettuce.
-Thinly slice the avocado and place on top of the tomato.
-Break up the bacon in bite size pieces and place on top of the avocado.
-Finally, drizzle your dressing atop the salad and mix well before eating.