The idea that we even need to think about this is nausea-inducing. But the sad truth is that following yet another school shooting, parents across the country are terrified, and searching for ways to keep their kids safe.
A viral Facebook post from Katie Cornelis, a concerned aunt in Connecticut, is offering parents a small but useful idea
Katie suggests that children (and adults) carry a small doorstop with them at all times. If they ever need to barricade themselves in a room, the doorstop can be jammed under the door, and “may just buy you some time.”
The Department of Homeland Security has outlined the steps one should take should they find themselves in the presence of an active shooter. Their overview of guidelines is as follows:
- Be aware of your environment and any possible dangers
- Take note of the two nearest exits in any facility you visit
- If you are in an office, stay there and secure the door
- If you are in a hallway, get into a room and secure the door
- As a last resort, attempt to take the active shooter down. When the shooter is at close range and you cannot flee, your chance of survival is much greater if you try to incapacitate him/her.
- CALL 911 WHEN IT IS SAFE TO DO SO!
To see the full report, you can check it out here.
Our hearts are broken for the tragic losses of these shootings, and for the fear in which we are all living. We are grateful to everyone who is taking steps to make our country a safer place, where posts like this will not be necessary.
Please continue to share your ideas, speak up and do what you can. We are all in this together.