Becoming a mother comes with a lot of sacrifices. But your style doesn't have to be one! In fact, the right clothes can make you feel like a million bucks, as your body is recovering from birth and you are figuring out who you are as a mom.
Still, dressing yourself can be a major challenge. After all, your body is different, your breasts keeps changing sizes, and your hips are wider. So how do you dress a body in flux? We say, invest in minimalist clothes that can withstand the test of time and your busy new mom life. From a bathrobe to lounge at home to a sweater that will take you from playdate to date night, here are 14 pieces that every mom will love to live in.
1. Mohair-blend Cardigan, H&M, $39.99. This long, soft cardigan goes with almost anything AND is perfect for breastfeeding moms who are hoping for a little privacy during their on-the-go nursing sessions.
2. Linen Jogging Pants, Zara: $22.99. Not ready to get back in those jeans just yet? We get it, mama! Comfort is key when you are caring for a newborn; and joggers are a great way to feel cozy and put together all at once. We love these khaki joggers from Zara with an adjustable elastic waistband, which you can dress down with sneakers or up with comfy flats.
3. 2-Way Stole, Uniqlo: $9.90. Wear it as a scarf, use it as a nursing cover or even as a wrap. This stole is the versatile piece of clothing that you have been waiting for to mom hard... and in style.
4. SNOWE Unisex Honeycomb Bathrobe, Madewell: $98. Get ready to lounge in style, and treat your postpartum body to the ultimate comfort piece. This plush, cushy robe is perfect for day-long hangs at home with baby.
5. Women’s Tree Runners, Allbirds: $95. Show yourself some love with a pair of light, airy sneakers to support those ever-moving mama feet. You don’t have to compromise style with these plain black, wear-with-anything kicks.
6. The Pullover in Sierra, Suunday: $112. Want a lil bang for your buck? This sweater is for you. It's roomy enough to get you through the delicate postpartum transition, but the short cut and oversized bell sleeves are on trend. Plus, the minimalist style paired with a romantic twist, will take you seamlessly from play date to date night!
7. Debbie Dress, Boob Design: $79. This oversized dress with nursing access is a great go-to piece to have on hand after birth. The dolman sleeves are in, too, so you'll be party ready. No one will even know that this is a piece of gear for breastfeeding! Score!
8. The Knit Overall, Hatch: $278. Now we’re really talking comfort. Nursing-friendly self-tie straps and handy back pockets with a relaxed fit make this onesie the ultimate mama lounging piece!
9. Nightie Night Nursing Dress, Love Comma: $118. This adorably striped mini dress is perfect for the breastfeeding mama. Without any snaps, clasps or zippers to mess with, the pumping vents in this dress are a no-nonsense solution to pumping with ease.
10. Christy- Grey Speckle Long Sleeve Top, Loyal Hana: $105. Perfect for nursing, this sophisticated sweat-shirt piece is flattering with a little extra coverage at the bottom. Wear it with a maxi skirt or your favorite jeans for a fun, casual look!
11. The Day Glove, Everlane: $115. Comfort is key, but we it's nice to feel a little dressed up, sometimes -- even if it's to hang out with baby or your baby daddy. These chic flats practically mold to your foot with a soft leather and cushioned insole.
12. Ready for Anything Long Bomber Coat, Audrey & Olive: $84. Keep warm with this postpartum and pregnancy-friendly oversized coat. We love the slight a-line silhouette, and if you're baby wearing, there's enough room in there to fit baby.
13. Signature Leggings, Storq: $60. Leggings are just a great piece of clothing to add to your postpartum arsenal. They're comfy any outfit more practical. These leggings are so, so soft and provide support around your core.
14. Quilted Slippers, Parachute: $39. You’re going to need the ultimate foot cushions to go along with your plushy robe while you’re busy doing your favorite activity (lounging around with baby). These quilted slippers will keep your toes warm, and they’re equipped with rubber soles, so it’s no biggie if you need to step outside.
Allie Bowman is a social media intern at Well Rounded. After earning a Media Studies degree in her home town at the University of Delaware, she moved to Brooklyn seeking career inspiration, adventure, and delicious food. She loves finding new music, cooking, drawing, and hanging out with her cat Jeffrey.