How to make pregnancy sex less awkward.
The further you get into your pregnancy, and the bigger your body becomes, the more challenging it is to negotiate certain spaces you encounter throughout your day. Like your bed. Sex seems awkward, and possibly even downright uncomfortable. But just because your shape is changing doesn’t mean your libido has to suffer.
Clair Cavanah, co-founder of the female-friendly sex shop Babeland, says that sex is not only possible, but has important benefits during pregnancy. “Sex is a way to stay connected and intimate with your partner. Orgasms and stimulation increase blood flow to the genitals and help the muscles that women use during delivery be strong and flexible.” While she cautions that all women should talk to their doctor or midwife about sexual activity, “for most women experiencing a healthy pregnancy, sex should be safe throughout.”
Even better, she says, many women say they become “multi-orgasmic” during pregnancy. Score. And score again. And again. So relish the possibilities, and get that beautiful body into bed asap – with someone else.
Here are a few of Cavanah’s strategies to achieve your – ahem – goals when it comes to getting intimate.
1. Although you shouldn’t lie on your back for long periods of time, missionary is okay since you aren’t on our back for too long.
2. Being on top is a great way to feel comfortable when your belly is growing, and your partner can easily reach your clitoris, too. Add in a mini-vibe like the Mia 2 and be prepared for a mind-blowing experience.
3. Being on your hands and knees with your partner behind you is a great position for stimulation of the G-spot. Using a sex pillow helps make it more comfortable.
4. Massage releases tension and stress. A massage candle sets the mood, has a nice fragrance, and the warm, silky oil feels wonderful. You can feel more connected with this intimate, sensuous experience.
5. Use Luna Beads to exercise and strengthen your PC muscles and as a sexy accessory. Just think about one of those scenes from Fifty Shades of Grey to inspire you.
6. Pregnancy is a time to redefine sex and intimacy. Holding each other, making out, and masturbating together keeps you connected and feeling sexy, while acknowledging this moment of transition in your lives.
7. And if you also use your bed for reading, Your Orgasmic Pregnancy has some great additional resources.
Image source: Sock Monkey Kama Sutra.