Recently, Tia Mowry, actress, mother and founder of Anser shared on Instagram that she will introduce her children to movies and television shows with all-Black casts. For starters, the actress will expose them to The Wiz, a 1978 film that follows the adventures of Dorothy, a shy Harlem teacher who finds herself magically transported to the Land of Oz. Starring Diana Ross as Dorothy, Michael Jackson as the Scarecrow, Nipsey Russell as the Tin Man, and Ted Ross as the Cowardly Lion, it's a classic film for kids of all ages.
"The #love that's been shown over the globe these few weeks has been remarkable," Mowry wrote in an Instagram caption. "The #united voices has brought me to tears. #love drives out darkness. #love is powerful and #love gives me #hope." Mowry is the mother of two children, 8-year-old Cree and 2-year-old Cairo. She is also biracial and has been vocal about the privilege her white dad had over her Black mother.
If you'd like expose your children to Black entertainment, here are 11 other movies + tv shows the entire family will love to watch together:
- Hidden Figures
- Cinderella (1997)
- Family Matters
- Dancing in the Light: The Janet Collins Story
- The Princess and the Frog
- The Proud Family
- Akeelah and The Bee
- Ruby Bridges
- My Wife and Kids
- Bino and Fino
- The Longshots
- Are We There Yet?
- How to Talk to Kids about Racism, Age by Age - Motherly ›
- Netflix + bedtime? 40 binge-worthy shows you'll devour in one sitting ... ›
- 10 toddler TV shows that inspire learning, friendship + kindness ... ›
- 20+ tv series to binge watch right now - Motherly ›