Summertime calls for refreshing salads and this delicious and ever-so-healthy green bean, fennel, walnut, Spanish onion and Feta salad, drizzled lightly in olive oil and balsamic vinegar, will definitely satisfy.
Fresh green beans are filled with wholesome nutritional properties and fennel is also rich in iron, calcium, magnesium and zinc, which are all very important during pregnancy and postpartum.
The addition of walnuts, Spanish onion and Feta cheese gives this easy-to-prepare dish a crispy and zesty edge, and you can rest assured that as long as the Feta is pasteurized, it is 100% safe to consume throughout your entire pregnancy--just make sure to read the packaging or ask your grocer to be sure it is pasteurized.
- 1 pound x fresh green beans
- 1/2 x small fennel bulb
- 1/4 x Spanish onion
- 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts
- small piece of Feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon x olive oil
- 1 tablespoon x balsamic vinegar
- black cracked pepper and sea salt to taste
- Trim beans on the ends and wash thoroughly. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil.
- Add the green beans and cook until just tender- for approximately 8- 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, thinly slice fennel and Spanish onion, and cut Feta in to about 5 small cubes.
- Once beans are cooked, drain, run under cool water and place in a large bowl.
- Add fennel, Spanish onion and walnuts and combine with beans.
- Place in serving dish and add salt, pepper, Feta and drizzle lightly with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Toss well and serve at room temperature or it can also be stored in fridge for a day.
Photography by Penny Zalalas.