There's been a lot of focus in the media on the property destruction happening during some protests, but they don't tell the full story.
People across the country continue to protest against police brutality after a video of police killing George Floyd went viral last week. There's been a lot of focus in the media on the property destruction that some of these protests have escalated to, but they don't tell the full story.
Not everyone protesting is being violent, and some are even marching alongside members of their local police squad. Even children are protesting for a better future. Parents have been sharing their own stories of racism and fear on social platforms —many of which have gone viral— and their pleas for change so their children can have a safe future ahead of them.
Here are some of the most powerful photos from peaceful protesters across the country:
"We all bleed the same color"
An officer hugs a protester
A man and two kids join a caravan
A young man stands in his cap and gown during a protest
Protesters lie down on a highway
Protester takes a knee
Denver police chief marches with protesters
Michael Ciaglo/Getty Images
"Radical action brings radical change #BLM"
"Black Lives Matter"
Man hands out water to protesters
Protester and police pound fists while taking a knee
Protesters lie down on the floor in silence
"Black lives matter. Today. Tomorrow. Forever"
Protesters take a knee at Reno
Protesters block off streets in Albany
"No justice no peace!!"
People pray at George Floyd's memorial site
Stephen Maturen/Getty Images
- I'm the mom of black sons and I fear for their safety every day ... ›
- Dear white moms, here's what I need you to know - Motherly ›
- How to Talk to Kids About Protests + Racism - Motherly ›
- photos of children at the #BlackLivesMatter protests - Motherly ›
- Mother of George Floyd's Daughter Speaks Out - Motherly ›
- TIME Cover Artist Titus Kaphar Paints a Black Mother's Pain - Motherly ›
- Motherly Gives Conversation on Racism and Motherhood - Motherly ›
- Viral photo from George Floyd protest - Motherly ›
- Black Teen Shares The Rules His Mom Makes Him Follow When Leaving The House - Motherly ›
- Barbra Streisand Makes Gianna Floyd a Disney Stockholder - Motherly ›