Maybe you learned your lesson during the election last year. Maybe there’s a member of your family who has no shortage of topics that make you want to take your meal to the blissfully ignored kids’ table. (Come to think of it, fart sound competitions are basically the same thing as most political debate.)
Maybe it’s hard to find things to talk about with people you only see once a year.
Not this year, captain. No. Not this year. You’re steering this ship come hell or high water, and politics (and awkward silence) are off the table.
These 27 less controversial, engaging, conversation starters could last you through an entire holiday weekend- or at least until someone falls asleep sitting upright in front of the TV.
- What did you most recently binge on Netflix?
- Who the hell believes this crap about bacon causing cancer? Isn’t everyone going to get cancer? Who here has cancer? (Ok. Maybe don’t let this one get away from you.)
- You can only eat three foods for the rest of your life. Which do you choose?
- What is your most awkward moment?
- If a driverless car is on a collision course with a pedestrian, should it opt to hit them or injure/kill the driver?
- Quality of life: improved by cell phones or compromised by them?
- Which household chore do you loathe the most?
- Would you rather spend a month alone under the sea or out in space?
- You could create a reality show about anything. What would it be?
- Which of your material possessions means the most to you?
- What’s your go-to happy song?
- Name one thing you wish you could do again for the first time.
- What is your most useless skill?
- What is your worst habit?
- Recite something you had to learn as a kid that you’ve never forgotten. Who taught it to you?
- If you could insert yourself into any sitcom, which one would it be?
- What is the worst job you’ve ever had?
- What is the best advice you could give your younger self?
- Name 3 people alive today who will still be known 100 years from now.
- What is something someone said to you that you’ve never forgotten?
- What is the nicest thing a stranger has ever done for you?
- Have you ever walked out on a movie? Which one?
- Name 3 things you could consider yourself an “expert” on.
- What is something you wish you knew how to do but feel like it’s too late to learn?
- What is the easiest way you can make someone’s day?
- Name your biggest first world problem.
- Which line from a movie do you most often quote?