Here's a classic combo your kids can help out with that'll warm everybody up. Soup's on!
Posted by Parent.co on Friday, January 20, 2017
What could be better on a chilly school night than hearty soup and biscuits?! Kids can whisk everything together for this easy tomato soup, and they’ll love patting out the biscuit dough. If you have leftover biscuits wrap them well and keep them at room temp for the next day!
Soup and Biscuits
Makes: 12 biscuits and 6 cups tomato soup.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 3 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp basil
- ½ tsp oregano
- ¾ cup vegetable broth
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Pepper to taste
- Whisk all ingredients together in a medium saucepan over medium heat for 10-15 minutes
- 2 cups baking mix (like Bisquick)
- 2 Tbsp grated parmesan
- 1 Tbsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 3 Tbsp melted butter
- ¾ cup milk
- Mozzarella cheese for sprinkling.
- Preheat oven to 450
- Whisk baking mix, parmesan, basil and oregano in a large mixing bowl.
- Add melted butter and milk and mix, using a wooden spoon, until soft dough forms. Do not overmix!
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a rough circle about ½ inch thick.
- Cut into squares and gently lift into a 10 inch cast iron skillet, or onto an ungreased baking sheet. It’s ok if they touch!
- Sprinkle with a handful of grated mozzarella cheese
- Bake at 450 for 15 minutes or until the biscuits puff and the tops are nicely browned.