Fun to make, colorful, and easy to transport. Pack these up for your next picnic!
Posted by Parent.co on Friday, July 21, 2017
Picnic season is in full swing! These fresh, colorful spring rolls with sweet and spicy dipping sauce are delicious, refreshing, fun to make and easy to transport. The rolling takes a bit of practice, but don’t worry. You’ll be rice paper wrapping like a pro in no time. Let kids customize with their favorite ingredients – the sauce worked well with every fruit and veggie combo we tried!
Picnic Spring Rolls
Makes 6-8 rolls
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes for rice
Total time: 45 minutes
- 2-3 cups of thinly sliced veggies and fruits of your choice. We used red cabbage, green beans, yellow, orange, and red peppers, carrots, strawberries and raspberries. Cucumber spears, avocado slices, kiwi, peach or nectarine slices would also work well.
- A few handfuls of fresh herbs. We used cilantro and basil.
- 1 ½ cups (uncooked) jasmine rice OR 1 package (6 oz) bean thread noodles
- 6-8 rice paper wrappers ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup sesame oil
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 3Tbsp unseasoned rice vinegar – divided
- Sprinkle of red pepper flakes
- Cook the rice according to package directions. I use about 2 ⅓ cups water for 1 ½ cups rice. Set aside and let cool. If you’re using the bean thread noodles, cook them according to package directions, then rinse with cool water and set aside
- Sprinkle the cooled rice with 1 Tbsp of rice vinegar and a pinch of salt.
- Assemble your veggies and fruits.
- Fill a shallow 8-9 inch cake pan with about ¼ inch of cold water.
- One at a time, gently submerge your rice paper wrapper in the water gently for about 10 seconds. It should feel bendable, but still a bit stiff.
- Place it on a clean surface, and quickly arrange about ⅓ cup of rice or noodles, and whatever fruits or veggies you want.
- Like you’re rolling a burrito, gently fold in the sides of the wrapper, then roll from top to bottom.
- Set finished rolls on a clean plate while you keep working.
- Make the sauce! Whisk the honey, sesame oil, soy sauce, and rice vinegar together in a small bowl until thick and smooth. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes if you like a little spice – we recommend this!
- Dip, and enjoy!!
Rice paper wrappers and bean thread noodles are available in the international section of most grocery stores.