Here's what the CDC recommends.
Kids need something to look forward to right now (we all do) so, naturally, they're getting excited for Halloween. But the holiday might need to look a little different this year. Costumes can still happen, but trick-or-treating the old fashioned way is not recommended.
That was the news dropped this week by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention when it recommended against trick-or-treating. "Many traditional Halloween activities can be high-risk for spreading viruses," the CDC notes, adding that "participating in traditional trick-or-treating where treats are handed to children who go door to door" is considered a high-risk activity. So is trunk-or-treating, where treats are handed out from parked cars.
Instead, the CDC recommends safer alternatives in the age of COVID-19.
The following lower risk activities can be safe alternatives to trick-or-treating, according to the CDC:
- Carving or decorating pumpkins with members of your household and displaying them
- Carving or decorating pumpkins outside, at a safe distance, with neighbors or friends
- Decorating your house, apartment, or living space
- Doing a Halloween scavenger hunt where children are given lists of Halloween-themed things to look for while they walk outdoors from house to house admiring Halloween decorations at a distance
- Having a virtual Halloween costume contest
- Having a Halloween movie night with people you live with
- Having a scavenger hunt-style trick-or-treat search with your household members in or around your home rather than going house to house
Moderate risk trick-or-treating
Other moderate risk alternatives to trick-or-treating include "having a small group, outdoor, open-air costume parade where people are distanced more than 6 feet apart" or "attending a costume party held outdoors where protective masks are used and people can remain more than 6 feet apart."
We're all looking forward to Halloween and with a little creativity, it can be safe and fun.
- The Cutest Baby and Toddler Halloween Costumes - Motherly ›
- Easy DIY Halloween Costumes for Kids - Motherly ›
- The Motherly Halloween Shop ›
- 25+ Halloween movies for kid, by age - Motherly ›
- These celebrities have the cutest Halloween costumes - Motherly ›
- Kids Face Masks That Double as Costumes ›
- These celebrities have the cutest Halloween costumes 🎃 - Motherly ›
- Halloween 2020: Majority of Families Will Still Be Trick-or-Treating ›