I've never been a fan of turkey on Thanksgiving. Don't get me wrong; it's delicious, when prepared correctly, but it always makes me feel so sluggish after I devour it. I fall into a food coma and slouch down in my seat as I convince myself I have room for dessert.
This year I'm focusing on the side dishes and Vice President, Kamala Harris is helping me out as she recently shared her family's favorite Thanksgiving dish.
"During difficult times I have always turned to cooking," the VP captioned in a post on Instagram. "This year, I wanted to share one of my family's favorite Thanksgiving recipes with you. I hope whenever you're able to make it in life, it brings you as much warmth as it has brought me—even when separated from those I love."The recipe comes to us on the heels of her popular turkey tips video that instantly went viral. We haven't tried them yet, but we're sure they're to die for.
Enjoy Kamala's cornbread dressing recipe:
2 (8-ounce) packages of cornbread mix
1 pound spicy pork sausage
2 onions, chopped
2 apples, cored and chopped
4 celery stalks, diced
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 teaspoon sage
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon rosemary
Salt and pepper to taste
- Bake your cornbread according to the instructions on the package. This can be done the day before. Once it's cooled, crumble it.
- Take the sausage out of its casing, crumble it, and brown it in a little oil. When it's cooked, use a slotted spoon to remove it from the pan and set it aside.
- Sauté the vegetables and apples in the remaining oil in the same pan.
- Mix that with the sausage, cornbread crumbs, melted butter, herbs, and chicken broth.
- Put the mixture in a baking dish and bake at 375°F for about 40 minutes. Enjoy!
- Pussy-Bow Shirts Inspired By Kamala Harris - Motherly ›
- Moms React to Kamala Harris's Historic Election - Motherly ›
- Kamala Harris' Husband Quits Job To Support Her - Motherly ›