Did you know baby food pouches aren't covered by WIC, the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children? Weird, right? We have deets on how one of the biggest baby food companies in the game is going above and beyond to make sure kiddos of every financial background have access to organic nutrition. Plus: can you imagine having to take your whole shirt off to pump or nurse at work? Thanks to a change in protocol, mamas in the U.S. Air Force no longer have to. And one of the most quintessential kid toys ever is moving toward sustainability. Woohoo! It's all right here, in our Weekly Links.
- Cool news from LEGO: the company is working to become more sustainable. The first sustainable LEGO products will be available this year. LEGO botanical elements, like trees, leaves and bushes, will be made from plant-based plastic sourced from sugarcane. The LEGO group has committed to using all sustainable materials in packaging and products by 2030.
- This week, the U.S. Air Force took a big step in supporting new mothers by approving nursing friendly shirts as uniform options. This means all those amazing moms who protect our country in the air can now pump or nurse without having to take their whole shirt off at work.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics is issuing a major alert to mamas who put their kiddo's bottles, sippies or bowls in the microwave and dishwasher: stop! The AAP now says do not put any plastic dishwear in the microwave or dishwasher, as the plastic may leach chemicals into the food your child eats.
- Moms love Happy Family Organics because of their on-the-go, non-GMO baby food pouches with awesome flavor combos -- but did you know pouches aren't covered by WIC? Happy Baby is now making WIC approved baby food, changing the game for families who can't afford or don't have access to quality, organic baby food with their Clearly Crafted Jars.
- One of our favorite maternity brands, Isabella Oliver, now has a cool new "Mama to be" t-shirt that supports an even cooler cause. They've partnered with Every Mother Counts, a maternal health charity, to help make pregnancy and childbirth safe for mothers everywhere. For every shirt they sell, 50% of the proceeds will be donated to Every Mother Counts.
- Need a more comfortable and enjoyable pumping experience at work? Aeroflow Healthcare, a breast pump provider that helps moms get pumps at little to no cost through insurance, has launched a national contest to provide one business with a pumping room makeover. You have until August 31st to enter here!