Some names just don't go together.
When Amy Schumer announced her son's name 11 months ago she raised eyebrows. Some thought his name, Gene Attell Fischer, was a fake name to protect Schumer's son's privacy, but Schumer just admitted it was real and that she's changed it.
She broke the news on her podcast 3 Girls, 1 Keith, explaining "It's now Gene David Fischer...It was Gene Attell Fischer but we realized that we, by accident, named our son 'genital.'"
That's exactly what some fans said nearly a year ago when Gene's name was announced, and why some speculated whether the name was fake, and whether Schumer was just trolling us all.
"It sounds like genital fissure," one of her followers commented on her name announcement post.
"Uh, am I the only one who thinks Gene-attell is going to be turned into Genital??" another said.
Well, Schumer and her husband obviously took that feedback to heart and have spared Gene a lifetime of genital jokes by switching out Attell for David.
Gene's former middle name was a tribute to the couple's friend, comedian Dave Attell, but 'David' honors both Attell and Schumer's dad, another David.
Since they are still trying to conceive, maybe Gene's sibling can have Attell in their name. It will sound just fine if it's not following 'Gene'.
- Amy Schumer loves her 'warm, soft post-baby body'—and we're here ... ›
- Amy Schumer's refreshingly honest reason for switching to formula ... ›
- Amy Schumer shares just how difficult IVF can be - Motherly ›
- Amy Schumer + her husband Chris Fischer picked the sweetest ... ›
- Amy Schumer + her son 'visit' her dad from a safe distance - Motherly ›
- Amy Schumer's Reaction To Son Saying 'Dad' For First Time ›