Effective Date: May 1, 2020
"Motherly", "we", "us" or "our": Motherly, Inc.
"you" or "your": you
"Site": www.mother.ly and its subdomains
"App": any downloadable applications we make available to you,
"Services": any software or services we make available to you, including the Site and/or App.
NOTE: Motherly does not knowingly collect information from children under 16. If you are a parent and believe that your child under the age of 16 has used our Services and provided personally identifiable information to us through our Services, please contact us at [email protected] (include "Child Information" in the subject line) or the mailing address below and we will work to delete that account and any such personally identifiable information.
- Effective Date; Changes. This Policy applies to all information collected by or provided to us on and after the Effective Date. When we make any material changes to this Policy, we will change the Effective Date above and will inform you by e-mail sent to the address associated with your account and/or through our Services the next time you login. We will treat your continued use of our Services following such notice as your acceptance of the changes. However, we will seek your affirmative consent prior to applying any material change to this Policy on how we use or disclose personally identifiable information to information we collected or received prior to the date of the change.
- Third Parties. We may offer through our Services or send to registered users links to or offers from third parties. This Policy does not apply to information that you may provide to or that may be collected by third parties. We encourage you to request such third parties to provide you with their applicable privacy policies and other terms and conditions before participating or making a purchase.
- Collected Information
- Information You Submit. When you create an account with our Services, we collect the personally identifiable information you provide in the registration form. This information may include your name, e-mail address, picture, due date, child's name, child's birthdate, payment information (if applicable) and other information.
- Social Networking Information. You may share content created on our Services through a social networking site such as Twitter or Facebook ("Social Services"). Integration with Social Services allows us to offer a more personalized experience to you when you use our Services. If you share information on the Social Services, the Social Service may provide us with access to certain information that you have provided to that Social Service (such as your profile picture, interests, and connections), and we will use, store and disclose such information in accordance with this Policy. Please remember that the manner in which Social Services use, store and disclose your information is governed by the terms and conditions and privacy policies of each Social Service, and not the Motherly.
- Information Collected When You Use our Services. When you use our Services, we gather certain non-personally identifiable information from you, and this information can be associated with the personally identifiable information that you provide. This includes usage information, such as information on when, how often and for how long you use our Services, how you use our Services and server log data such as a device's IP address, MAC address and operating system version. If you choose to provide it, this will also include crash log data consisting of status and debugging information for our Services.
- Cookies, Web Beacons, and Advertising.
- Our Services or the emails that you receive from Motherly may use an application known as a "web beacon" (also known as a "clear gif"). A web beacon is an electronic file that usually consists of a single-pixel image. It can be embedded in a web page or in an email to transmit information, which could include personal information. For example, it allows an email sender to determine whether a user has opened a particular email.
- We also may partner with certain third parties to collect, analyze and use some of the personal and non-personal information described in this section. For example, we may allow third parties to set cookies or use web beacons on our Services or in email communications from us. This information may be used for a variety of purposes, including online behavioral advertising, as discussed below.
- Recommending to Contacts. If you use our Services to send invitations to your contacts to recommend they use our Services, their names and e-mail addresses of the contacts you select will be collected by our servers so we can send them invitations.
- Use & Disclosure of Information
- We internally use the information we maintain about you as follows:
- By using our Services, you agree to receive emails and push notifications (if you use our App) from us regarding our Services. We may from time to time send you push notifications or email messages with information about your use of our Services. You agree that all agreements, notices, disclosures, and other communications that we provide to you electronically satisfy any legal requirement that such communications be in writing. You may opt-out of receiving our newsletter by emailing [email protected] with "Opt-out" in the subject line or by selecting to unsubscribe as may be provided in the applicable email correspondence.
- We may use submitted information for the purposes for which you provided the information, such as to post comments and create and maintain an account for you.
- We may use submitted information and collected information to provide the features and functionality of our Services to you.
- We may use submitted information and collected information to personalize the content (including advertising) that you and others see based on personal characteristics or preferences. This includes without limitation the information you submit when registering for an account, information we collect when you use our Services under Section 4, information pertaining to content you submit to Motherly, and other information we may collect pursuant to our Terms of Service or this Policy.
- We may analyze collected information relating to your use of our Services in order to help us improve our Services and develop and improve other products and services.
- We may use User Content for any purpose permissible under the Terms of Service or under this Policy.
- We may use submitted information and collected information to help troubleshoot problems, provide you with required notices, enforce our Terms of Service (for example, when necessary to protect our or a third party's intellectual property or proprietary rights), or to alert you to changes in our policies or agreements that may affect your use of the Services.
- We use and disclose the information we maintain about you as follows:
- Your name login and photo will be disclosed to other users as part of your profile. You can see this information by viewing your own profile. Other users to whom you are connected will also see your posts in association with your profile information.
- If we collect payment information from you as part of the Services, we may disclose that information and your personal information to outside payment processing companies for the purposes of billing or processing payments.
- If you share information through a Social Service, we will use the information we receive from that Social Service to populate your profile. We may also use such information to connect you to your friends and contacts through the Services.
- If you invite your contacts to use the Services, we retain their contact information and device identification number on our servers so that we can recognize them as your contacts and connect you to them if and when they sign up to use the Services.
- We may disclose non-personally identifiable information to third party partners in furtherance of our business arrangements with them, including without limitation to jointly offer a product or service to you or create interoperability between our products and services and the products and services of such partners.
- We may provide advertisers and other third parties with aggregated, non-identifiable information about our user base and its usage patterns.
- We will use and disclose your location information as described above under the heading "Location-Based Information."
- We may use contractors and third party service providers to provide the Services to our users. When our contractors or service provider obtain access to your information, they are required to protect this information in a manner that is consistent with this Policy by, for example, not using the information for any purpose other than to carry out the services they are performing for Motherly.
- We will use and disclose information where we, in good faith, believe that the law or legal process (such as a court order, search warrant or subpoena) requires us to do so or in other circumstances when necessary either to protect the rights or property of Motherly, our users, and third parties.
- We internally use the information we maintain about you as follows:
- Viewing and Amending Information. You can log into your account and view and change your user account information at any time.
- Deleting Your Information. You may at any time cancel your account and request that we delete from our servers all of your account information and the media you have posted through our Services. Such requests will be honored within a reasonable time period after they have been received provided that you give us all reasonably necessary information and cooperation. Certain data may continue to be stored in our backup systems until regularly scheduled deletions occur.
- Choices Regarding Third Party Offers. To the extent that we send you commercial e-mails regarding third party marketing or promotional materials, we will give you the ability to opt out of receiving such e-mails in accordance with applicable law. We will not provide your personally identifiable information to third parties for their own marketing purposes without your consent.
- California Residents. If you are a California resident, please review our California Privacy Addendum for additional rights that may be applicable to you.
- Security. The personally identifiable information we collect about you is stored in limited access servers. We will maintain reasonable safeguards to protect the security of these servers and your personally identifiable information. However, no security measures are 100 percent effective, and we cannot guarantee the security of your personally identifiable information.
- Transfer As Corporate Asset. In the event of a merger, sale of capital stock or assets, reorganization, consolidation or similar transaction involving Motherly, the information we possess (including personally identifiable information) shall be transferred as a corporate asset to the acquiring entity, provided that such entity will continue to handle such information in accordance with this Policy.
- Transfer to the U.S. or other Countries. Motherly is established in and uses facilities in the United States. Your information will be stored and processed in the United States or other countries where Motherly has facilities. By using our Services, you consent to the transfer of information outside of your country, even if your country has more rigorous data protection standards.
CALIFORNIA PRIVACY ADDENDUM
Date Last Updated: May 1, 2020
If you are a California resident, the California Consumer Privacy Act ("CCPA") provides you with certain rights regarding your personal information, including the right to know about personal information collected, disclosed, or sold; the right to request that we delete personal information that we have collected from you; the right to opt-out of the sale of your personal information; and the right not to be discriminated against. All of these rights are subject to certain exceptions.
Collection of Personal Information
When you visit or interact with our website, we may collect information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or household ("personal information"). We may have collected the following categories of personal information over the past 12 months:
- Identifiers, such as your name, username, email address, or IP address.
- Categories of personal information described in subdivision (e) of California Civil Code Section 1798.80, such as your name, address, and payment card information.
- Characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law, such as your age.
- Commercial information, such as your purchase records.
- Internet or other electronic network activity information, such as cookies, web logs, and information about how you use our website.
- Geolocation information.
- Inferences drawn from any of the information identified above, such as advertising profiles.
We collect the personal information listed above from the following sources:
- From you directly, when you make an account with us, subscribe to our website, or purchase one of our products.
- From your operating system and platforms.
- From social networks, such as Facebook and Twitter, when you share our content on those platforms.
- Automatically from you when you visit our website.
In the last 12 months, we may have disclosed the following categories of personal information for our business or commercial purposes:
- Categories of personal information described in subdivision (e) of California Civil Code Section 1798.80
- Characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law
- Commercial information
- Internet or other electronic network activity information
- Geolocation information
- Inferences drawn from any of the information listed above.
- Service providers
- Data analytics providers
- Social networks
- Advertising companies
Right to Know
California residents have the right to request that we disclose certain information about our collection and use of your personal information over the past twelve months ("Right to Know"). Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will disclose to you:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you.
- The categories of personal information that we have disclosed for a business or commercial purpose.
- Our business or commercial purposes for collecting or selling personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that personal information.
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you (i.e., a data portability request).
Right to Delete
California residents have the right to request that we delete the personal information that we collected from you and retain, subject to certain exceptions ("Right to Delete"). Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your personal information from our records, unless an exception applies.
Right to Opt-Out of Sale
The CCPA provides California residents with the right to opt-out of the sale of their personal information.
Some information that we share with third parties may constitute a "sale," as that term is defined in the CCPA. To learn more and to opt-out of such sharing, please click here: Do Not Sell My Personal Information.
We do not knowingly "sell" personal information of minors under the age of 16.
Right to Nondiscrimination
The CCPA provides California residents with the right not to receive discriminatory treatment for the exercise of their privacy rights conferred by the CCPA. We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights.
Exercising Your Rights
If you are a California resident and wish to request for us to provide you with your Right to Know or Right to Delete, you may submit a request to us through the following ways:
- By postal mail at P.O. Box 7734 Menlo Park, CA 94026, USA.
You may authorize an agent to make a request on your behalf. To designate an agent, please provide a written and signed document by both you and the agent that authorizes the agent to act on your behalf. You may also use a power of attorney. We will still require you to provide sufficient information to allow us to reasonably verify that you are the person about whom we collected personal information.
Contact for More Information
If you wish to contact us regarding our California Privacy Addendum, you may do so through the following methods:
- By postal mail at P.O. Box 7734 Menlo Park, CA 94026, USA.