Don't feel bad about bending your screen time rules on stuck-at-home days, mama.
If you're facing a school closure due to COVID-19, the odds are your child will be getting more screen time than usual. This is especially true if you're trying to work remotely with your child at home.
The good news is, there are so many excellent educational apps out there for kids of all ages. So many, in fact, that it can be a little overwhelming. Whether your kids' school is closed or you're just looking for ways to make their screen time more valuable, look for apps that entertain kids while still encouraging learning.
We've found 28 of the very best educational apps for kids that teach language, math, science and even coding.
Educational apps for toddlers
Even if you don't usually allow screen time for your toddler, if their school or daycare is closed and you are working from home, you may temporarily change the rules.
If you do use screen time for your toddler, here are some quality choices:
1. ABC Animal Toddler Adventures: Designed for toddlers, this app uses fun animal-themed activities to practice letters, numbers, shapes and other basics.
If you're looking for more ideas on the best options for toddler screen time, check out these toddler TV shows to inspire learning, friendship and kindness.
Educational apps for preschoolers
10. Crazy Gears: This digital puzzle game is great for teaching problem solving, critical thinking and early physics concepts.
12. K-5 Science for Kids – Tappity: The beauty of this app is that it covers so many areas of science—your child can learn about whatever sparks their interest, whether that's dinosaurs, machines or the human body. The app is available at different levels for kids ages 4 to 10.
Educational apps for elementary school kids
18. Audubon Bird Guide (Android Version): This one is not specifically designed for kids, but is perfect for your budding birder. It allows you to identify and track birds in the wild and listen to bird songs.
19. Solar Walk (Android version): Your child can experience what it would be like to fly through space with this visually stunning app that presents a 3D model of our solar system. Give them a mission with certain questions to answer or just let them explore and follow their own curiosity.
25. Tinker: Explore coding with this award winning app that allows kids to program their own games, create music and animate characters.
27. DIY.org – Creative Challenges: This one inspires kids to get off the devices by providing inspiration and how-tos for all sorts of projects from art to engineering.28. LOOPIMAL: Kids arrange tiles to create songs, which animated animals dance to.