Have you heard of this new trend: office mates donating PTO to pregnant coworkers to allow for paid maternity leave? Why this kind of heartwarming gesture is actually a little horrifying. Plus, a recall on the most eaten food by, like, every kid in America. And, why gay and lesbian couples raise happy kiddos that turn into happy adults. It turns out it has nothing to do with sexual orientation. It’s all right here in our Weekly Links.
1. Because we all know Goldfish and Ritz Crackers are a staple in every kiddo’s diet, this is a recall you need to understand. The US FDA announced the recall this week, saying the whey powder in the crackers could contain salmonella. Goldfish Cracker flavors included in this recall are: Flavor Blasted Xtra Cheddar, Flavor Blasted Sour Cream & Onion, Goldfish Baked with Whole Grain Xtra Cheddar and Goldfish Mix Xtra Cheddar + Pretzel. Ritz Crackers included are: Ritz Bits cheese cracker sandwiches and mixed cookie and cracker variety packs. If you have these crackers, you should toss them.
2. Last week, Good Morning America highlighted a new trend in office baby showers, where co-workers donate paid time-off days so new moms can have maternity leave. At first we were all, “awww.” But now, we’re kinda like, “hmmm.” Should that really be what has to happen for a new mom to get time off with her baby? We’re loving this piece from Scary Mommy that explains why donating vacation time isn’t heartwarming -- it’s actually kind of horrifying.
3. For the first time ever, it is now legal to breastfeed in public in all 50 states. Wait, what?! You mean it wasn’t legal before?! Utah and Idaho were long time hold outs, but after this week, the two states have finally enacted legislation to protecting nursing mamas.
4. And while we’re on the subject of breastfeeding, let us just go ahead and tell the people in the back: if there’s one group you really don’t want to piss off, it’s breastfeeding moms. Public pool employees in Minnesota found out the hard way this week, after they called the cops on two moms who were nursing their babies. The next day, dozens of nursing mamas showed up with hungry babies in support.
5. It’s official: gay and lesbian couples raise happy kiddos that turn into happy adults! In the longest-running study of homosexual couples raising children, researchers have found that 25-year-olds raised by two moms have no difference in mental health from those who grew up with heterosexual parents. The study found that what matters in child raising isn’t sexual orientation, but how confident you are in your parenting skills.