Earth Day is a great annual reminder of all the ways you could (and should!) be living a little more eco-consciously. And there's no place more important to clean up your act than in what you wear. The fashion industry wreaks havoc on our ecosystem with its production methods, and labor practices.
It’s easy to turn a blind eye to cheap fast fashion, but it's important to keep in mind that the clothes we wear, and the textiles they are made from, can not only damage the environment, but also make us sick! So take this moment to inform yourself, reprogram your buying habits and choose not to be a fashion victim. Here's 12 fashion brands for your family that are as easy on the eyes as they are on the environment.
FOR BABY & KIDS
1. Granelito. (pictured above) Scandinavian designed in that simple and tasteful way and made in Peru. These threads are GOTS Certified, short for Global Organic Textile Standard which is often called the golden standard for organically grown fibers including strict social criteria. Cute and Conscious.
2. Pure Colour Baby. The hand drawn prints feel straight out of your coziest story book, not to mention sustainability is a key component in all designs. Pieces have adjustable “grow with me” features to last longer than usual. And even though they're based in Canada, they do ship to the US.
3. Under the Nile. Under the Nile was the first baby clothing company in the USA to be certified by The Global Organic Textile Standard. They are the only baby clothing company in the world to carry the official Gold Seal of Authentic Egyptian Cotton and their training pants, are some of cutest in the eco category.
4. Lark Adventurewear. The first activewear brand for baby made of Cotton & Bamboo for natural, breathable wicking fabric that keeps little ones cool. Oeko-Tex 100 Certified which is a worldwide independent testing and certification system for raw and finished textile products at all processing levels,
5. Reformation. (pictured above) This brand is so chic it almost hurts with fabrics that are SUPER sustainable. Build you eco fabric vocabulary with textiles like: Tencel, Modal®,Recover® and Deadstock all part of the Reformation push to create more sustainable fabric options.
6. Boob Design. Since 97% of Boob Design's clothes are made from sustainable materials, you don’t have to miss out on fashion (or the jumper trend!) while you are breastfeeding. It's also nice to know that the fabric sitting on your baby's food source is Standard 100 by Oeko Tex.
7. Eileen Fisher. Eileen Fisher envisions an industry where human rights and sustainability are not the effect of a particular initiative, but the cause of a business well run. And we're all for a lofty vision when it's paired with endless styles for the confident woman.
8. Armedangles. (pictured above) This European brand is not shy about their belief that beautiful products can be organic. Dad could totally geek out learning about their technological (and totally sustainable) fabrics, like Lenzing Modal® with Edelweiss.
9. Tasc Performance. Ninety percent of the energy used in making tasc Performance garments is renewable energy, much of it provided by solar panels installed at their factory. BamCo®, patented by Tasc, is a fabric that feels better than cotton and performs without chemical enhancements.
10. Parkland Mfg: The fabric on these cool bags is made from 100% recycled water bottles, and since it can take up to 1,000 years for a water bottle to break down in a landfill this seems like a much better home for them. We love that Parkland is turning this eyesore into fun, everyday products we can use for a life time.
11. Native Polish. Native nail polish is vegan, cruelty free and 7-free, which means polishes do not contain 7 harmful chemicals: formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin, toluene, camphor, dibutyl phthalate (DBP), xylenes and parabens.
12. LXMI. This skincare line unites undiscovered, effective natural ingredients with transparent, responsible production and sourcing practices. Above all, they engage women to take part in the world in a way that creates lasting beauty.