Name: Sara Jane Mercer Neighborhood: TriBeCa Occupation: Wellness coach and expert Baby’s Gender: Girl How would you describe your pregnant style? My daytime style is definitely “urban mommy causal.” I have been living in my Citizens of Humanity maternity jeans (the only brand that really fits right as they only change the waist not the leg size for their maternity styles), oversized plaid shirts, slouchy t’s by either Hatch Collection or T by Alexander Wang and cool sneaker by Vince or Golden Goose. In the depths of winter I threw some sweater’s from Hatch into the mix as well. At night or when I am not on mommy duty my style is more urban boho. Pregnant or not I love dresses by Isabel Marant, LoveShackFancy and Ulla Johnson paired with a great leather jacket like my Iro one.I pair them with either cool flat ankle boots (my Chloe and Isabel Marant ones are my favs) or my Stuart Weitzman over the knee boots. I am not someone who likes to wear tights so the over the knee boots were great this winter to keep my legs warm! Have you had any challenges learning to dress your body during pregnancy? My first pregnancy I definitely bought more maternity clothes as I thought I would need them. Once my daughter was born I was so sick of everything that I gave it all away very quickly. This time around I have only bought a few maternity basics such a jeans and some tee shirts. I have found it much more appealing to wear clothes that I either already own or that I know I will wear after this baby arrives. I have earned to embrace as more loose, slouchy, boho style this time as those are the types of clothes that look good with or without a bump! One major challenge this winter was finding a parka that was warm enough to handle the NYC chill and zipped up my bump. Many people suggested wearing my regular parka unzipped with a heavy sweater and a big scarf but this just wasn’t warm enough for me! After much searching I bought a Canada Goose parka a size up and plan to sell it via my mom’s list after I have the baby. There is nothing worse than being cold in NYC in February so this was a splurge that was worth it to me. So far, what has surprised you most during your pregnancy? This pregnancy has flown by compared to my first one! With an almost 3-year-old to chase around I don’t have the time to focus on it as much. Alot of the little things that worried me with my first daughter such as odd aches and pains etc. have just rolled off this time as I know it is all temporary and will go away as soon as I give birth. Also, there has been alot less to do before this baby arrives. Last time I spent alot of time putting my “team” together. This time around everyone was already in place. We were lucky to find a wonderful birthing team all of whom I love so there was no interviewing and meeting people this time. What are you most looking forward to sharing with your baby? Most immediately I am looking forward to nursing a baby again. I nursed my first daughter for 20 months and still miss that sweet bond. We are huge beach people and I cannot wait to introduce my daughter to the ocean and the sand. Her big sister is happiest barefoot with uncombed hair in a bathing suit and I hope this little girl follows suit. I am also excited to take her to all of the parks and playgrounds in our neighborhood. TriBeCa is really a little kid paradise, we have multiple playgrounds less than five minutes from our apartment and I cannot wait to show them all to her! What’s your 5 registry essentials?
- Baby Bump Fitness Ball. This version of a yoga ball (with feet so it doesn’t roll) is a must have for me. I use it as a desk chair, will labor on it, and once the baby is born with bounce her on it to soothe her to sleep!
- Baby K’tan. I wore my daughter Hermione in this wrap for the first few months of her life. I love the Baby K’tan because there is no complicated wrapping technique to learn (it’s all pre-done) and it can be used from birth. You can even nurse while your baby is snuggled up in a K’tan.
- TANE Organics Swaddles. These super soft swaddles are a must have for me. They are a bit smaller than other swaddles out there making them perfect for a tiny newborn and the slight stretch make it possible to get a tight wrap every time!
- TANE Organics Onesies. For simple, soft, organic baby wear nothing beats TANE. Their clothes are incredibly adorable, soft and chic. I think little, new babies look best in white so I like to stock up!
- Blessed Nest Pillow. This nursing pillow is the best! Not only is it made from organic fabric and stuffed with buckwheat hulls ( no toxic nasties here!) but it actually conform to your baby’s back so you don’t have to hold them in place while you nurse. It is also great from tummy time, and to prop your baby up on!
SHOP SARA’S PREGNANCY & REGISTRY STYLE