The first day of school is full of change—summer is over and waking up early is the new norm, for starters. But now that many schools will be going back to in-person learning after the pandemic, the experience is a whole new level of transition. In short, kids need your support more than ever before. It's important that the positive phrases you say to your children become their inner voice. Kids need to understand four simple things on the first day of school:
- That you are proud of them, and your love is unconditional
- Success is in their control
- School is a way to learn new things and make new friends
- At the end of the day, they get to be with their family
Here are 11 encouraging phrases to say to your child on their first day of school:
1. "You're capable of anything you set your mind to."
It sounds cliché, but every child needs to hear this not only on the first day of school but throughout the school year. Saying these words are the first step to teaching your kids about perseverance and work ethic. It's an important affirmation that puts them into the mindset of working towards success.
2. "You don't have to be the best at everything; you just need to try your best."
Children are not perfect. Chances are your child will struggle at some point with a task, a concept or a subject while at school. In those moments it will be helpful for them to know that they don't have to be the best at everything, but they must try their hardest. Saying these words will also keep your child from feeling self-conscious when others do well. There is no need for comparison, just do your best.
3. "It's about the journey, not just the destination.
Some children—especially those in their teenage years, with college in the foreseeable future—will overwhelm themselves. They stress about the future and while being concerned and driven about your future is a good thing, we must teach our children to cherish the journey as well.