The number one truly unisex name is, surprisingly, Charlie, which started as a boys' nickname but is now used exactly evenly for girls and boys.
Many gender-neutral baby names are not truly unisex, meaning they're used predominantly for one sex and only rarely for the other.
I'm thinking of names like Addison and Madison, which started as boys' names but are now used nearly exclusively for girls, and names like James, in the Top 10 for boys but receiving a lot of attention as the middle name for a couple of high profile celebrity baby girls.
But which names are most evenly split between the sexes, so that they can truly be called gender-neutral? We analyzed all unisex names to find the most popular choices with at least a 40-60 split in either direction.
The number one truly unisex name is, surprisingly, Charlie, which started as a boys' nickname-name but is now used exactly evenly for girls and boys. Surname-names Finley and Skyler rank second and third, with word-names Justice and Royal rounding out the top five.
Here, the top 50 truly androgynous baby names, with the gender split by percentage, according to recent Social Security statistics.
1. Charlie, 50-50 girls-boys
2. Finley, 58-42 girls-boys
3. Skyler, 54-46 girls-boys
4. Justice, 52-48 girls-boys
5. Royal, 42-58 girls-boys
6. Lennon, 50-41 girls-boys
7. Oakley, 52-48 girls-boys
8. Armani, 46-54 girls-boys
9. Azariah, 55-45 girls-boys
10. Landry, 53-47 girls-boys
11. Frankie, 58-42 girls-boys
12. Sidney, 56-44 girls-boys
13. Denver, 40-60 girls-boys
14. Robin, 58-42 girls-boys
15. Campbell, 56-44 girls-boys
16. Dominique, 42-58 girls-boys
17. Salem, 55-45 girls-boys
18. Yael, 40-60 girls-boys
19. Murphy, 43-57 girls-boys
20. Jael, 50-50 girls-boys
21. Ramsey, 43-57 girls-boys
22. Hollis, 50-50 girls-boys
23. Brighton, 45-55 girls-boys
24. Perry, 42-58 girls-boys
25. Gentry, 53-47 girls-boys
26. Jaidyn, 45-55 girls-boys
27. Reilly, 50-50 girls-boys
28. Jules, 55-45 girls-boys
29. Kylar, 40-60 girls-boys
30. Austen, 49-51 girls-boys
31. Ocean, 44-56 girls-boys
32. Jackie, 51-49 girls-boys
33. Storm, 49-51 girls-boys
34. Honor, 59-41 girls-boys
35. Ryley, 57-43 girls-boys
36. Marlo, 56-44 girls-boys
37. Nikita, 43-57 girls-boys
38. Ridley, 51-49 girls-boys
39. Indiana, 53-47 girls-boys
40. Taylen, 42-58 girls-boys
41. Clarke, 55-45 girls-boys
42. Kylin, 41-59 girls-boys
43. Eastyn, 40-60 girls-boys
44. Payson, 43-57 girls-boys
45. Amen, 41-59 girls-boys
46. Timber, 57-43 girls-boys
47. Cypress, 40-60 girls-boys
48. Lake, 41-59 girls-boys
49. Jaziah, 41-59 girls-boys
50. Dakotah, 56-44 girls-boys
Originally posted on Nameberry.
Check out some of our favorite gifts for littles in the Motherly Shop!
Few things are sweeter than a snuggly baby fresh out of the bath. The gentle, plant-based formulas from Noodle and Boo are made without parabens, phthalates, sulfates, PPGs, dyes and GMOs, so you can feel good about using them on your precious bundle.
Little G Cuddle-Boo is the perfect playtime teether and tag-a-long! Featuring ultrasoft faux fur, two LOVE Saver™ Teether Toys, and a removable organic maple wooden teether making it perfect to throw in the wash!
Including everything you need for their first year of play, this Montessori-inspired, researched-backed play gym and mat takes the stress out of toy shopping.
We independently select and share the products we love—and may receive a commission if you choose to buy. You've got this.
- 100 Unique Baby Names That Mean Moon - Motherly ›
- 100 Unique Baby Name Ideas - Motherly ›
- 28 baby names that bridge cultures: Arya to Zahara - Motherly ›
- These are the most popular gender-neutral baby names of the century ›
- Top Baby Names in 2020 for Boys and Girls - Motherly ›
- The Top 200 Baby Names of the Decade - Motherly ›
- 100 Most Popular Baby Names - Motherly ›
- Popular Boy Names and Name Meanings ›
- Popular Girl Names and Name Meanings - Motherly ›
- We decided not to find out the baby's sex - Motherly ›
- BabyNames.com Goes Viral for Powerful Statement on Black Lives Matter - Motherly ›
- Popular Nicknames for Unique Baby Names - Motherly ›
- Why Choosing Not to Learn Your Baby's Sex Can Be Awesome - Motherly ›
- 100 Most Popular Millennial Names - Motherly ›
- New Baby Names for 2020 - Motherly ›
- Baby Names That Mean Miracle - Motherly ›
- Baby Names That Mean Strong - Motherly ›
- 100 Unique Baby Names That Mean Fire - Motherly ›