You are a strong and brave mama bear. We already know it :) But if you are having some fears about your impeding birth, you're not alone. Birth is a big deal! It's natural to feel a little anxious about it. One strategy to help overcome this is to create your own mantra.
A mantra is a word, or a short sentence, that you say over and over to yourself, almost like a mini-meditation. Developing a birth mantra is an easy but powerful way to improve your confidence and to give birth with more focus, calm + fierceness.
Here are some guidelines for developing your birth mantra, and an example (which you are welcome to use, of course!) —
1. What are you most afraid of? Choose a mantra that calms that fear.
“My baby and I are safe"
2. Use positive words; instead of “don't be scared" try “be confident."
“I trust myself and my body"
3. When you are creating your mantra, think about things that inspire you, make you feel powerful or generate a sense of peace within you.
“I am birthing with women all over the world"
“Breathe in calm, breathe out tension"
"I was made for this."
(Psst: Psst: Love this mantra? Us too! Check out this beautiful bracelet from Sontakey and take your mantra with you wherever you go.)
4. Simplicity it key; keep it brief and to the point.
“I've got this"
5. Make sure you start practicing your mantra now.
Say your mantra to yourself throughout the day, especially at night when your body/mind is usually more able to accept suggestions. And feel free to fine tune your mantra as needed!