It would almost sound like an urban legend, if Phoenix police hadn't already confirmed that it's all too true: an Arizona couple was horrified to discover that the doll they bought for their daughter was actually stuffed with drugs.

The Phoenix Police Department shared the scary story on their Facebook page, saying that the parents found the Glo Worm doll at a thrift shop.

"When they got to their north Phoenix home they cleaned and washed the toy before they let her play with it," police wrote. "Imagine their surprise when they looked inside and found a sandwich bag with over 5,000 pills believed to be fentanyl."

The deadly narcotic is a synthetic opioid, a group of drugs linked to tens of thousands of overdose deaths every year in the U.S. according to the CDC.


Luckily, the Arizona family avoided a potentially tragic situation simply by being cautious and thoroughly looking over the toy before letting their daughter play with it. "They immediately called #phoenixpolice and handed the dangerous drugs over to officers. Great job parents!" the department wrote.

The family's brush with danger might be a one-in-a-million type of situation, but it can serve as an important reminder for any parent shopping second-hand. "Remember, please inspect all opened and used items for your family's safety," police warned. And really, the same can be said about brand new out-of-the-box items, too. You never know where a potential hazard might be lurking (and if one exists, a little kid finally definitely find it). When it comes to our children's safety, you truly can't be too careful.