Certain baby gear items will exit your home as quickly as they entered, while others will be staples you’ll use everyday for years to come. Wouldn’t it be nice if those essentials were as good for the environment as they are loved by your family? The purchasing of baby gear can leave you feeling as though you’re gathering a lot of ‘stuff’ and ultimately contributing to our growing landfills. Though there's no doubt that there's a lot of waste involved in parenting, there are ways to minimize your carbon footprint.
So where exactly can you shop for gear that’s created consciously through environmentally-responsible practices, made with non-toxic materials and are even recyclable? We’ve rounded up all the eco-friendly essentials, from strollers to baby bottles, to get you on the path to a healthier and greener home for baby.
1. Greentom Stroller, starting at $299. Everything about the Greenroom Stroller is eco-friendly; from the materials used, to the fact that it can be recycled once your child outgrows it. The stroller frame is constructed entirely from recycled plastic and the fabrics from recycled drinking bottles. We could go on and on because even the footmuff and rain cover are made from green materials. Bottom line, this stroller is the real deal when it comes to calling itself green.
2. Bumbleride Speed, $549. If you love the idea of a green stroller but you're more the running type, the Bumbleride Speed is the perfect stroller for you. The fabrics used on all Bumbleride strollers are made from non-toxic, 100% recycled materials constructed from post-consumer water bottles. So go ahead, get your workout on and help save the planet at the same time -- you really are a super-mom.
3. Nuna Car Seats, starting at $299. You purchase a car seat to keep your baby safe on the road, but what about choosing one that is also safe for the environment? From the manufacturing practices to the materials Nuna uses on their car seats, there is an effort to do it responsibly. So you can feel good that you’re buying from a brand that cares about the planet just as much as your little one.
4. Babyletto Lolly Crib, $399. So you didn’t think your kid would be the type to chew on his crib but as it turns out he is? At least with an eco-friendly crib, like the Babyletto Lolly, you don't have to worry about your baby teething on strange toxins. This crib, made from sustainable wood is not only manufactured with non-toxic, lead and phthalate free finish, it’s also GreenGuard Gold Certified, meaning it’s screened for VOCs and other harmful chemicals you wouldn’t want in your home, let alone your baby’s nursery.
5. Newton Baby Crib Mattress, $299.99 Your newborn will spend lots of time sleeping, and, fingers crossed, they’ll give your arms a break once in a while and sleep in their crib. You’re going to want a mattress you can trust. The Newton Baby Crib Mattress, made from toxin-free, food-grade polymer, is extremely breathable and temperature regulating. And because it’s 100% recyclable, it’s both baby- and earth-friendly.
6. Natti Natti Bedding, $48. You’re going to need some bedding to go with your eco-friendly crib and green mattress. The 100% organic cotton fitted crib sheets from Natti Natti will do just the trick. They are not only adorable (hello Narwhals) they are designed and made in Brooklyn with cotton knitted in the USA.
7. LILLEbaby Carrier, from $124. For LILLEbaby, being an environmentally responsible company doesn't just pertain to their products but is a part of their overall philosophy. When you choose to carry your little one around in a LILLEbaby carrier, you’ll know that not only is your little one snuggled up against healthy materials but that even the factory it was made in was chosen for its responsible practices.
8. Nook LilyPad Playmat, $120. Tummy time may be hard for baby, but you’ll have an easy time watching her play on the organic, breathable surface of the Nook LilyPad Playmat. With all that time you’ll be spending on the floor with your little one, at least you’ll be lounging on an earth-friendly and fully recyclable play mat.
9. monica + andy Clothing, varying price. You may be wondering why you should consider organic cotton clothing for your babe, and there are lots of reasons! Mainly it means the cotton isn’t treated with pesticides and other toxins that are harmful to people and the planet. We love the sweet and sassy (think unicorn and donut prints), organic cotton collection from monica + andy. This collection is super soft, sustainable and so Insta worthy.
10. Little Planet by Carters Clothing, varying price. For organic baby clothing that’s budget-friendly, Carter’s just announced a limited edition line made with 100% organic cotton. The Little Planet collection is filled with the same cute prints you’ve come to expect from Carter’s, plus feel-good organic materials at a price point you and your wallet can get excited about.
11. Comotomo Baby Bottle, $13.99. For years, glass bottlees reigned supreme when it came to your option for an eco-friendly baby bottle. But then along came silicone, and it was a game changer. Silicone not only is BPA free, it also withstands heat without leaching chemicals. It also doesn’t break if dropped and is light for tossing in the diaper bag or letting baby self-feed.
12. Naturesutten Pacifiers, $11.99. Looking for the safest pacifier out there for your little pacifier lover? Naturesutten pacifiers are made from pure natural rubber and without chemical softeners, parabens, PVC or phthalates. Not only natural, it's hygienic! Because it’s made in one solid pacifier, the Naturasutten doesn’t have any joints or cracks for bacteria to hide.
13. Avanchy Tableware You’re spending an arm and a leg on organic produce, so it only makes sense to choose non-toxic tableware to serve them up on. The tableware from Avanchy is made from organic bamboo and silicone free from BPA, PVC, lead, and Phthalates. And as if that weren't enough of a reason to use these, an airtight-lock suction means those organic veggies will stay on the plate, not all over the floor.
14. Bambo Nature Diapers, staring at $12. When it comes to choosing diapers, it can be overwhelming and a bit of a game of trial and error. But if it’s eco-friendly you’re looking for, Bambo Nature has you covered. These breathable, certified skin-safe diapers will keep your baby’s bottom protected and as soft as the day she was born. Concerned eco-friendly means they won’t perform as well? Not these -- Bambo Nature diapers are designed to be super absorbent and hold up all night long. But, they are biodegradable, which, in the world of diapers, is a huge deal!