If you’re about to have a little one, chances are someone has told you to cherish these moments. But the first year of your baby’s life can be a bit of a blur! To help you, new mamas, remember each sweet moment with your new bundle of joy, we’ve combed the Internet for the best baby journals out there. In an Instagram world, there’s just something so special about saving memories the old fashioned way. From tracking smiles and first words to saving pictures and birth announcements, these journals are incredible keepsakes you’ll love sharing with your child down the road. They also make great gifts for the parents-to-be in your life.
Here are 6 of our favorite baby journals to record your baby's special moments.
1. MUSHYBOOKS. These books contain amazing details and allows you to customize. They are bound in soft faux white leather and sheathed in sturdy chipboard. Mushbooks also come in multiple themes for boys, girls or gender neutral, and their 50 pages include birth story, mom + dad, firsts, favorites and lots of space for photos. There are also additional pages available for same-sex parents, single parents, birth parents, and life events like baptisms and NICU stays. There is an envelope to save small items like hospital bands and baby shower invites, and it even comes with a test page to try out different pens. $79 CAD, buy here.
2. MY FIRST YEAR: A BABY JOURNAL. This journal is for the on-the-go mom. It’s designed to keep in your purse or diaper bag, so you can write down memories as they happen. Its 120 pages include recipes from author and blogger, Jacqui Saldana of Baby Boy Bakery, and room for you to write your own favorite recipes for your baby. It even has cute baby emoji stickers to keep track of how much your little loved, or didn’t love, each bite. Small vellum envelopes are included to save mementos, as well as a large back pocket. $29.99, buy here.
3. BABY’S FIRST YEAR: LITTLE ARTIST MEMORY BOOK. This is the ideal book for the visual mama. Each colorful page is a work of art waiting to store precious memories for your little bundle. There’s space for baby’s footprints and birth announcement, a photo of the house you brought your baby home to, pictures at each month, and even a reserve of blank embellished pages for you to choose your own memories to save. $34.99, buy here.
4. LE PETIT BABY BOOK. If you're looking for a whimsical, spiral bound journal to record special moments from your baby’s first year, this is it. Le Petit Baby Book by Chronicle Books is full of interactive pages that include pockets, pop-ups and spinning wheels that display your baby’s zodiac sign and a pullout growth chart to hang in your nursery. The book’s 72 pages are full of thoughtful prompts, and plenty of space for photos. $30, buy here.
5. MOTHER STORK’S BABY BOOK. If this baby journal feels like it’s from another lifetime, that’s because it is. This elegant reprint of a 1904 baby book is full of classic illustrations and beautiful poems. But of course, its content is updated and ready for a 21st century baby, with pages for baby’s first baths, letters from family and friends and details about baby’s pets. This baby journal is in it for the long haul: it’s made with archival-quality paper and comes with a special archival-quality gel pen. The book is hardbound, with cover and spine foil stamped and packaged in acid-free tissue for long-term storage. It’s a classic that will never go out of style. $150, buy here.
6. THE STORY OF YOU. Any well-organized mama knows the value of an Emily Ley planner. Now you can keep your baby’s first year just as orderly! Each of the book’s 64 modern pages are adorned with beautiful gold foil details. The book makes space for photo pages, memory pages and month pages for you to write about additional highlights. The book is available from many retailers, but if you order from Emily Ley direction, you can have it monogrammed. It also comes in a keepsake box. $62 + $6 for monogramming, available in spring, buy here.