Forget the watermelon and add a little oomph to your summer munchies.
It's summer season, which means it's time for pool parties, beach days, and park picnics. All of this sounds fun, but what's a mama (and her babes) to eat? After all, if you are pregnant or have a little one, you want to make sure that the snacks you pack along are healthy and nutritious -- it will help you feel fuller, longer. And if you have a toddler to feed, you probably want to find options that are not only healthful and wholesome, but that will also keep them satisfied and excited. So that watermelon you planned on bringing may not quite to the trick. Luckily, there are a few brands that offer healthy snacks for everyone in the family. Whether you need a dip for your chips or a good old energy bar, here are 8 brands we love.
1. Dave's Killer Bread. While bread constantly gets a bad reputation, remember not all brands should be judged harshly! Dave's offers a variety of organic, non-GMO whole grain and seeded breads. Their products are packed with protein and fiber and don't include mainstream ingredients such as High Fructose Corn Syrup. Their line includes bagels, which are perfect for on-the-go! Check out their Epic Everything flavor that offers 12g of protein per serving and is topped with flax, chia and other goodies.
2. Late July. Who doesn't love a good chip and dip combo? Plus, summer and salsa go hand in hand, amirite? The brand offers regular or flavored tortilla chips, which include Jalapeno lime, Nacho Chipotle, and Bacon Habanero. The products use the highest quality organic and non-GMO ingredients that are free of toxic persistent pesticides, artificial flavors, colors and preservatives.
3. Pure Growth Organic. If you're little one constantly asks you for snacks, this brand is your answer. Whether it's their breakfast biscuit bites or their veggie chips (made with organic peas, spinach and tomato!), you'll feel good about offering them these products as an in-between. Pure Growth offers "sweet and salty" options as well as on-the-go oatmeal (snag their original flavor for optimum nutrition!).
4. Rule Breaker. Guilt-free treats made with beans? Yes please! These sweet treats including brownies and blondies are made with chickpeas! So you've got protein, fiber and low-sugar to offer your little ones so they hopefully won't be bouncing off the wall if you're stuck in traffic. Since they don't contain any artificial preservatives, keep them stored in a cool area (or fridge/freezer for up to 2 months!), and eat them within 3 weeks.
5. Pipcorn. Mini popcorn. Not much else to say! Except, it's one less choking hazard to worry about. Grab a bag of these non-GMO, whole grain-based mini popcorn snacks. They've got seven savory flavors (sea salt, ghee, kettle, truffle, cheddar, rosemary and sea salt/vinegar) for you to try.
6. Beanfields. These chips are bean and rice based. So if you're looking for a variation to the potato and tortilla chip, check these out! One serving of Beanfields Chips gives you 5 grams of protein and 6 grams of fiber, so you can feel good about what you’re eating. And it's truly perfect during pregnancy to keep you energized and to help with constipation. They're non-GMO and vegan. Plus, they do not contain corn or any of the eight ingredients recognized by the FDA as the top food allergens.
7. Biena. Roasted chickpeas are becoming extremely popular because of their low-fat, high-protein content. What's more, they're also a great source of fiber. Protein and fiber are a healthy combination to delay hunger as well as help with those GI woes. Biena combines the classic taste of roasted chickpeas with some simple flavoring to add that snack-time oomph!
8. KIND Fruit Bites. KIND bars are notorious for a low-calorie, low-sugar snack. They're a great staple to keep on hand, especially during pregnancy when the hunger hits fast. KIND has also launched fruit bites. These snacks don't contain juice or concentrate and are made with real fruit. They're just 60 calories per pouch! In comparison to some of the fruit gummies products, these are a healthier option for your little ones as well.
Have you tried any of these brands? Do you know of any other ones? If so, drop a comment below.