Instagram can be a double-edged sword for moms. There are so many posts of perfect families and filtered pictures, it can be hard to relate when you’re scrolling through images of perfection as you're nursing your newborn while your toddler is using you as a jungle gym, haven’t showered in 3 days, and your house looks like a war zone (clearly, I know from experience). Raising kids is NOT easy, and it doesn't have to seem to be on social media. I love a real parenting moment just as much as the next mom. That's why I've rounded up some of my favorite moms who don't shy away from sharing the difficult and hilarious aspects of motherhood.
Follow them for a good laugh and a reminder that you're not the only one with baby poop in your hair.
1. Megan Harper, @girlgonechildinnyc. Megan is an active, busy mama who appeals to the urban mom. She keeps it 100% real with a lot of funny, sometimes outrageous, things her kids do -- usually in public because why would they do them anywhere else?
2. Sophie Jaffe, @sophie.jaffe. Sophie owns multiple businesses and does a podcast with her husband; and she practices what she preaches. She’s all about connecting, mindfulness, wellness, yoga, superfoods, and living in sunny California. She is very raw and honest in all aspects including the way she raises her kids. She owns all of her emotions and encourages her kids to do the same.
3. Nyesha and Samantha, @twomommiesandababy. Nyesha and Samantha have been married for 4 years and welcomed their first daughter last year. They wrote a children's book about two women of color and their journey to starting a family. With this first book and throughout their feed, Nyesha and Samantha continuously explore family equality, along with women of color's place in the LGBTQ community. They also gift us with a refreshingly raw peek at their everyday adventures with their little one.
4. Leticia, @letoto3. Leticia is a Miami based mom of 4. She's got serious boho vibes and focuses a lot on health and wellness. She often posts about her kids at the beach or skateboarding. Leticia is very warm and puts a lot of love into her posts and you can feel her positive energy throughout -- her captions are a big breath of fresh air.
5. Andrea Drinen, @supermommyof123. Andrea is a mom of three and letter-board enthusiast who's accessible and easy to relate to. With Andrea, there's no picture-perfect mom life -- just a lot of "WTF" parenting moments. And her posts (her letter-board posts in particular) allow you to laugh the highs and lows of motherhood. She's expecting baby number 4.
6. Deirdre Maloney, @deirdremaloney. I started following Deirdre Maloney after reading an article she wrote here on Well Rounded. She is the quintessential NYC mom, and her girls are dressed way cooler than most adults could dream of. In her posts, you can feel how much she loves her family, and I love her sense of humor. I also always tune to her Story for sweet, funny moments with her kids and to see how #momboss she is.
7. Charmaine D, @charmsie. This mom of 1 is naturally a knockout. She does YouTube videos, and her Instagram feed recounts her life with her little one, Zen, in vibrant colors. Just looking at her pictures gives you a boost of energy. She and her family travel often, and her witty captions are always on point. I also enjoy her reviews on beauty products, most of which are very affordable!
8. Ashley, @mom_uptown. Ashley is a Connecticut girl who lived in England for some years and had her daughter there before moving to the Big Apple. Ashley is a master chef and shares a lot of pictures of the foods that she makes for her family. But what I may love even more is that she keeps it real about toddler life, whether it's about potty training or the struggles that can come with living in the big city.
9. Aimi, @earthsignmama. Aimi, pronounced Eye-Me, is a San Diego-based mama of two darling little dudes. Her Instagram feed is part wellness, part beauty, part fitness and, of course, part family adventures. If you want to peek at what #momlife looks like in San Diego, she's your girl! And with her Stories, she shares her day-to-day and the mess that comes with it, and it's refreshingly retable.
10. Mary Rogevich, @marynycmom. This mama of two big kids just might be the nicest person on Instagram. She always has a kind word to say, and her support to other moms is just off the charts. I love the fact that her kids are older. It gives me a sense of what I'll be able to do once my little ones are older!
Erin McInerney is a native Brooklynite living in San Diego, CA for the past 8 years. She and her boyfriend Ryan have two sons, Bryson and Christian. She spends her time modern mommying and practicing and preaching wellness.