Diaper-buying parents ask, big box company delivers. A major brand name produces a plant-based diaper—that’s still super absorbent! Plus, one transgender woman has used modern medicine to overcome biology and breastfeed her baby. The story is fascinating and inspiring. And speaking of inspiring, teenagers across the country are using their voices to demand legislative change when it comes to automatic weapons—and how safe they are at school. Here’s all the news you need to know about before you hit your weekend playdates, in our weekly links.
Pampers launches plant-based diapers
1. Pampers goes au naturel with a brand new line of plant-based diapers and wipes. Pampers Pure diapers are made without chlorine bleaching, fragrance, parabens, latex or the 26 allergens identified by the European Union -- and the wipes are made with 99% pure water. They’ll be available at major retailers by the end of the month.
Cat & Jack launches a subscription box
2. Subscription clothing boxes are not just for mama anymore! Target’s Cat & Jack line has just announced it’s jumping in the game. For just $40 a season, you’ll get 6-7 clothing items for your little one that haven’t hit stores yet. Keep what you like, return what you don’t.
A breakthrough for transgender breastfeeding
3. A medical breakthrough for transgender parents, as a study was released detailing how a transgender woman was able to breastfeed her child using a drug regime including some medications that are available in Canada but not the United States. Read more about her story here.
Healthier Happy Meals
4. McDonald’s is cutting the cheeseburger and chocolate milk options from Happy Meals in an effort to make the kids’ meals more nutritious. You can still ask for those options, but the burger chain won’t be advertising them anymore. Why? If you don’t see it, you won’t want it.
School shooting protests
5. Teenagers in Parkland, Florida and across the country are speaking out in a big way, demanding change after the school shooting that killed 17 last week. From “lie-in” protests at the White House to face-to-face meetings with President Trump, they’re asking for gun control measures that will keep them safe on school campuses.
Olive and Ocean's new mom swimsuits
6. Bust that mom bod out with pride. Kiddo swimsuit company Olive and Ocean is launching a kickstarter for their new mom line -- a wrap style swimsuit that hugs your postpartum curves in all the right places. Pitch in, and receive a suit for yourself before the first day of summer!