I'm going to be brutally honest here: I become a lazy chef during the colder months. Because I don't want to spend hours in the kitchen, I opt for quick, easy meals that take minimal effort. If it requires more than 30 minutes or has more than five steps, I don't want any part of it. Now I haven't forgotten my spend-all-day-in-the-kitchen-for- an-amazing-meal days of yore. But, that mama is taking a bit of a well-deserved siesta this season.
I kept my feelings in mind when curating this list for mamas of the same heart. It's safe to say that you can trust that the following six recipes—my all-time favorite soups for everyone in your family—are delicious and simple.
Here are the best slow cooker soups that you can prep in 15 minutes or less:
1. Classic slow cooker corn chowder
Time to cook: 4 hours 15 minutes
- 3 cups milk
- 2 (14.75 oz) cans cream-style corn
- 2 (10.75 oz) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2 (4 oz) cans chopped green chiles
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 2 cups cubed cooked ham
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Stir milk, cream-style corn, cream of mushroom soup, chopped green chiles, frozen corn, hash brown potatoes, ham, onion, butter, hot sauce, parsley and chili powder in a slow cooker.
- Season with salt and black pepper. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low and for 6 hours.
2. Southwest black bean chicken soup
Time to cook: 8 hours 15 minutes
- 1 pound cooked dark meat chicken
- 3 (15.5 oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (14 oz) cans chicken broth
- 2 (10 oz) cans diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
- 1 (15.25 oz) can whole kernel corn
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped jalapeno peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup sour cream, or to taste
1. Place chicken, black beans, chicken broth, tomatoes with green chile peppers, corn, onion, jalapeno peppers, garlic, chili powder, red pepper flakes, cumin, coriander, salt and black pepper in a slow cooker.
2. Cook on low for 8 hours. Serve with about 1 tablespoon sour cream on each serving.Recipe from AllRecipes .
3. Slow cooker butternut squash soup
T ime to cook: 4-5 hours
- 2 1/4 pounds butternut squash, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 granny smith apples, diced
- 2 carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- parsley for garnish
- Spray a 7- or 8-quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add all ingredients except heavy cream into slow cooker.
- Cook on low heat setting 7-8 hours or high heat setting 4-5 hours.
- Add to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Stir in heavy cream and adjust seasonings to taste. Garnish with extra heavy cream and herbs.
4. Italian sausage pizza soup
Time to cook: 6 hours 15 minutes
- 1 package (1 pound) Italian turkey sausage links
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium sweet red or yellow pepper, cut into strips
- 1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 jar (14 oz) pizza sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 oz each) beef broth
- 1 package (5 oz) Caesar salad croutons
- Shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Remove casings from sausage. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook and crumble sausage until no longer pink. Add onion and peppers; cook until crisp-tender. Drain and transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Add next five ingredients; pour in broth. Cook, covered, on low until vegetables are tender, 6-8 hours. Serve with croutons and cheese.
Recipe from TasteofHome .
5. Pesto bean soup
Time to cook: 4 hours 10 minutes
- 1 carton (32 oz) reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-1/2 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 3 cans (15 to 15-1/2 oz each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup prepared pesto, divided
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the first five ingredients. Stir in 1/2 cup pesto. Cook, covered, on low until vegetables are tender, 4-6 hours.
- Before serving, stir in reserved pesto and cheese. If desired, serve with additional cheese and pesto.
6. Buffalo chicken wing soup
Time to cook: 5 hours 5 minutes
- 5 cups 2% milk
- 3 cans (10-3/4 oz each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup Louisiana-style hot sauce
- Sliced celery, optional
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, mix all ingredients. Cook, covered, on low until heated through and flavors are blended 4-5 hours.
- If desired, top servings with celery and additional hot sauce.
Recipe from TasteofHome.