In recent years, we’ve been getting many alerts on baby food recalls. Whether the media hypes it up, whether the brand takes responsibility for the product, whether it’s a repeat offender or something entirely new, baby food recalls can cause anxiety for a new mom. They also initiate doubt on trusted food sources. But before you assume the worst and change up everything, here are a few tips to help you navigate through the recalls.
- Refer to the brand’s website. It’s important to get the facts directly from the source so that you don’t process every single thing you hear –- especially when the media is known to “over-hype.” The brand will likely issue a press release stating the problem and a potential solution, which means they have taken actionable steps towards fixing the issue.
- Familiarize yourself with competitor brands. We all have brand loyalty so it’s easier said than done to turn your back on a brand, especially when they’ve been your go-to for so long. But try to familiarize yourself with other brands that offer similar products so that in the interim of a recall, you’ll have options. Even if the switch isn't permanent, it's a good way to weather the storm until you have resolution on the recall.
- Review the ingredient list. It’s important to understand what goes into the food packaging that’s been recalled. For many food items, the primary ingredients are listed, so you could potentially replicate it by making it yourself. We know, we know: you may not have the time for this task. But since a recall is only temporary, a little cooking might be worth a try, especially if your child loves the product.
- Stay calm. We realize it's alarming -- for all of us. However, if you follow the above steps, you'll have an actionable plan to navigate through this hurdle.
- Don't be afraid of the brand who issued the recall. It's not like all the products are an issue. As long as a brand takes responsibility and you understand the issue at hand, well, just like in every other part of parenting, this too shall pass.