Everything you need to know about vitamin C skincare and 5 products we love for pregnancy and beyond.
Looking like you've slept for 12 hours?!.... YES PLEASE!
As all new mamas and mamas-to-be know, sleep is reserved for the charmed, if not the most very lucky of us out there. To be honest, I'd use just about anything to make it look like I've gotten more than 3 hours of sleep at a time... Luckily for me, I stumbled upon Vitamin C skincare products early on and haven't looked back since!
I had been hearing about Vitamin C nonstop from industry pros and skincare experts alike and knew I needed to get my hands on it immediately. Vitamin C is a heavy lifter in the world of skincare, solving just about every issue one might encounter during pregnancy and bringing back that mama-to-be glow when you've been up most of the night. Intrigued? Here’s the lowdown on this miracle worker.
Vitamin C is a skincare powerhouse and one of the most reliable forms of anti-aging on the market, helping with everything from free radical damage due to sun exposure (hello summer sun rehab!), hyper-pigmentation and acne (fluctuating hormones.. oh my!), slow collagen production (fine lines, what?!), and that ever elusive luminous glow which some of us see for a couple of months before 2am wake up calls become the norm.
Ingredients to look for:
Vitamin C can come in many forms, but L-Ascorbic Acid is by far the best. It absorbs quickly and has a great saturation rate. Products with added ingredients such as Ferulic Acid, Rose hips, Hyaluronic Acid or Aloe Vera will boost your antioxidant quota and any concentration of Vitamin C at or above 10 percent is most effective.
Where You Can Find It:
These days, Vitamin C can be found in just about any skincare product, although serums seem to be the most popular and my preferred method of application as they tend to pack the strongest punch. Additionally, if you have a pretty basic skincare routine or not much free time, you can find Vitamin C in face wash, cleansing oils (perfect for the upcoming winter months), day or night creams, and even sleeping masks (because yeah, those exist!). If you feel like you need some extra anti-aging, anti-puff brightness in your life as you tend to your newborn, look for eye creams/masks/peels/lip balms and even lipsticks containing Vitamin C... the possibilities are almost endless!
Vitamin C can be stressful for sensitive skins or anyone with rosacea. So for those who fall in that category, make sure you're utilizing a product containing less than 10 percent Vitamin C. Outside of this note, Vitamin C is perfectly safe to use throughout pregnancy and new mama-hood. It's my preferred skincare choice, and I have been able to source so many serums that are organic, natural and vegan to boot! When it comes to serums, ensure you're putting them directly onto a freshly washed face and waiting a bit to add your additional skincare -- this baby needs a minute to permeate the skin.
Now on to the goods! Here are my top 5 Vitamin C skincare picks for you all, expecting and new mamas out there.
1. Aphorism Night Is Young Serum. Aphorism has the perfect oil-based Vitamin C serum. Vegan, cold-pressed organic ingredients combine to make a very effective product great for all skin types. Since breastfeeding can really dehydrate our skin, this serum really comes in handy. With only a couple days use, my skin felt comfortable again, and I noticed it was brighter, clearer and more hydrated thanks to the organic rose hip, pomegranate and buriti oil, which are all natural forms of Vitamin C. $93, buy here.
2. Ursa Major Brighten Up Vitamin C Serum. A sheer serum with a soft, citrusy rose scent. After sleepless nights and that lovely postpartum drop in hormones, my skin was desperate for something to bring it back to life; and this serum really brightened up my fatigued skin. Ursa Major's serum contains all natural ingredients and none of the bad guys (sulfates, parabens, synthetic fragrance, etc), which is perfect if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. You'll find Ascorbic Acid Polypeptides delivering your Vitamin C kick along with Rose hip, Aloe and Edelweiss to intensify the antioxidant and hydration factor. $54, buy here.
3. Kelia The Repair Serum. Kelia has brought us the best serum for more oily skin types. It's super sheer, oil-free and very easy to wear. This serum is full of Vitamin C in Ascorbic Acid form plus a special new extract Kigelia Africana, derived from a special African tree. This new anti-aging powerhouse has a high antioxidant load as well as anti-inflammatory, -microbial and brightening/tightening qualities. For anyone struggling with Melasma, the ‘mask of pregnancy,’ this serum is the best: its ingredients will break up discolorations in a flash, and the sheer, oil-free texture will help you avoid breakouts. $85, buy here.
4. Sahajan Nourish Face Cream. State of the art, modern scientific formulations meet with Ayurvedic blends in Sahajan, which is based on an ancient mind-body system of medicine developed by Indian sages. This cream is deeply nourishing and features Triphala, a triple-fruit blend including the Amla fruit that has 20 times the amount of Vitamin C contained in an orange. This guarantees brighter, firmer glowing skin, all without any of the harmful ingredients. It's formulated without parabens, sulfates, petroleum and artificial colors/fragrances. upon using this cream, my skin felt hydrated instantly, which was a lifesaver. My skin has been desert dry since day one postpartum, and the Coconut Oil in this cream solved that problem in its first use. $60, buy here.
5. Glossier Super Glow. Bringing you the 'slept for 8 hours' look, Glossier's Super Glow serum brightens and evens skin texture using Aminopropyl Ascorbyl Phosphate, a super-stable form of vitamin C. This serum has a thin water-like texture, perfect for oily skin types and that summer humidity. Any new mama dealing with hormonal acne will love this serum -- so light, you’re sure to feel hydrated but not oily. Super Glow is hypoallergenic, dermatologist-tested, paraben and fragrance free, cruelty free and vegan so you can get that super glow, super safely. $28, buy here.
Emily Edgar is a NYC-based makeup artist and mama to sweet new babe, Margaux. Typically you can find her on set with top models and actors alike, testing all the newest makeup/skincare products on the market and spreading beauty across the wide open expanses. Follow her on IG @EmilyEdgar.